Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Billie G and the Boys

Turns out the Eclipse problem wasn't versioning, but rather syncing. For some reason, I had told unison not to sync ".metadata" directories. Naturally, this kept the Eclipse project metadata from getting copied over, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyways, Bill Gates gave a lecture today at UT, talking about the future of software etc. Most of it was standard "exciting time to be in CS" boiler plate that he's clearly given a million times, but some things he said were actually interesting. In particular, he made a brief statement about higher level languages, and how he doesn't believe that we are operating at a high enough level yet. In particular, he claims that we can get to within an order of magnitude of density of English specification. It made me realize that I'm not very familiar with the recent developments in highly dense and readable programming languages. I'm vaguely aware of Joy and Icon, but I don't have enough experience to speak on them.

P.S. If you can't tell, I'm turning this more into an actual blog/work journal. I started looking around for an application to do journaling when I remembered that I had this already set up!

No comments: